Aldi ‘No kids allowed’ Gin’gerbread Grotto19.12.2019
It’s official – Christmas is here! Yule be sure to treat yo’elf with Aldi’s boozy twist on these delicious and dazzling desserts this festive season.
Whether you fancy a warm cocoa drink on a frosty winter’s night by the fire or are baking up a storm for your Friendsmas celebrations, Aldi continues to sleigh this year bringing extra Christmas ‘cheer’ to shoppers’ favourite Christmas treats. These recipes will be keeping shoppers merry and magical all holiday.
- 230g unsalted butter
- 180g The Pantry soft dark brown sugar
- 90g Honey
- 550g The Pantry plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tbsp Aldi’s Ballycastle Gingerbread Cream Liqueur
- 450g icing sugar
2 tsp lemon juice
- Cut out templates needed.
- Melt butter, brown sugar and honey in saucepan.
- Mix flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon, then make a well in centre. Combine melted butter mix into flour mixture.
- Stir mixture and once cool, use hands to create stiff dough. Divide into 5 balls. Roll dough and cut into template shapes roughly 0.5cm thick to make 5 gingerbread grottos.
- Bake batch for 8-10 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Whilst pieces cool, make icing by whisking egg whites until frothy and adding icing sugar one tbsp at a time.
- Next stir in lemon juice and Aldi’s Gingerbread Cream liqueur and whisk until mixture is thick and holds a stiff peak.
- Assemble houses and use cocktail sticks to hold in place if necessary. Decorate with icing as desired.